Welcome
Login / Register

news


  • Ethiopia park tries to relocate settlers to protect wolves

    Thousands of Ethiopian wolves once roamed much of this country's mountainous north but their number has fallen dramatically as farmers encroach on their habitat and introduce domestic dogs that carry rabies.

    Only 120 wolves are estimated to remain in this national park and they are elusive, usually seen shortly after sunrise or just before sunset.
    "They are almost at the brink of extinction. So my vision is to increase their number significantly," said Getachew Assefam, coordinator of the Ethiopian Wolf Conservation Program.

    The movement of people move in search of fertile land in the highlands has put pressure on the park. Across the country less than 500 Ethiopian wolves remain in a few mountain enclaves, the Britain-based Born Free Foundation says.

    Efforts are underway to move most of the settlers out of this national park in the hope of saving the remaining wolves. The local community currently uses more than two-thirds of the park's area for grazing, agriculture and settlement, according to the Ethiopian Wildlife Conservation Authority.

    Read more:

     

    Read more »
  • 10 die as new Somali army chief escapes car bombing

    Image result for 10 dead new somali army chief-escapes-car-bombing/MOGADISHU: Somalia’s new army chief escaped a car bombing on Sunday that killed at least 10 people in a bloody response by Shabaab militants to the president’s declaration of war on the group.

    A suicide bomber drove a car packed with explosives into Mohamed Jama Irfid’s convoy near the defence ministry in Mogadishu, just days after he was named to the top army job on Thursday by President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed.

    “Initial information indicates that the military chief has narrowly escaped the attack,” the Shabaab said in a statement published on the website of the jihadist group’s Andalus radio station, claiming responsibility for the blast.

    Senior army official Muktar Adan Moalim said that seven civilians and three members of the security forces had been killed in the bombing.

    “A minibus loaded with explosives rammed a civilian bus while trying to hit the convoy of the military chief,” he said.

    A reporter saw five dead bodies and body parts scattered across the scene of the explosion after the attack around midday. Security forces blocked off the entire district around the defence ministry.

    Security official Ali Abdirahman confirmed that the army chief and other senior military leaders who had been in the convoy were unhurt.

    A witness, Abdirahman Isa, said the passenger bus that had been passing the scene “was completely destroyed and there were several dead bodies” which were “completely smashed and burned in the blast”.

    The attack was the latest deadly incident in days, after a car bomb in Mogadishu left seven dead on Wednesday, a landmine killed 19 Thursday and a mortar attack left three dead on Friday.

    Published in Dawn, April 10th, 2017

    Read more »
  • Muslim Egyptians donate blood to deadly church blast victims

     

    Egyptian men and women rushed to mosques in Tanta to donate blood for people injured in Sunday’s deadly blast, which struck the Coptic Christian Church earlier in the day.

    Mohammed Ahmad Hassan, a Tanta resident, said loudspeakers were used to call on people in the city to head to mosques and donate blood to help those injured by the attack. The call came bloods stocks at the hospitals were beginning to run out.

    And he added said that it seemed a large proportion of those responding were mostly Muslim.

    Hassan added that hundreds of blood bags were being delivered to blood banks and the General Hospital where the injured were being treated.

     

     

     


     

    Last Update: Sunday, 9 April 2017 KSA 15:50 - GMT 12:50

     

    Read more »
  • Some Syrians change social media profile pictures to Trump after strike

     

    DUBAI: Some Syrians are changing their social media profile pictures to images of US President Donad Trump after he ordered a massive military strike on a Syrian air base Thursday in retaliation for a “barbaric” chemical attack he blamed on President Bashar Assad.
    There had been international outrage over Tuesday’s suspected chemical attack that killed dozens of civilians and many world leaders have praised the strike.
    Now, some Syrian social media users have changed their profile pictures online to images of Trump with the caption “we love you,” indy100.com reported Friday.

    Read more »
RSS